Development Time: July 2019 – Present
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Chaos Crusaders: Mayhem Unleashed is a comedic wave-based action RPG game which uses multiple debuffs instead of traditional health. The rule is to make sure the player avoids suffering one of the debuff effects too many times or they will collapse, meaning game over for the player. The effects are the following:
– Body Temperature: The goal is to keep this in the middle (appearing half filled). The player will freeze to death if this is lowered too much or they will burn to death if this is raised too high.
– Speed: The player’s movement speed will be slower if this stat is lowered.
– Strength: The player will need to hit the enemies more times to defeat them if this stat is lowered
This game was designed around the idea of wave-based combat that would evolve over time to become ultra chaotic, leading to a sense of pandemonium which will test the player’s ability to survive in such unpredictable conditions. At the present moment, the player will face the following effects if they are hit by the following:
– Orange Enemies: These enemies blow themselves up, leaving the player with slightly less speed and attack strength and leaving them vulnerable to attack for a very brief time.
– Yellow Enemies: These enemies will reduce the player’s movement speed
– Green Enemies: These enemies will reduce the player’s attack strength
– Fire Enemies: These enemies will reduce the player’s attack strength, increase their body temperature and stop the player from attacking for a short time
– Ice Enemies: These enemies will reduce the player’s movement speed, decrease their body temperature and stop the player from moving for a short time
The pickups work in the following ways if collected:
– Yellow: Restores up to half of the player’s movement speed
– Green: Restores up to half of the player’s attack strength
– Red: If the player’s body temperature is below the middle, it brings the player’s temperature back to the middle
– Blue: If the player’s body temperature is above the middle, it brings the player’s temperature back to the middle
At the time of writing, the game is still in development which is why it’s making use of pre-made art assets and royalty free audio. Later iterations will include further debuffs and, if possible, art assets designed for this game.